Saturday, August 1, 2009

What It's Like

One of my favorite songs is called What It's Like by Everlast. The whole song just gives you situations where people typically come to quick assumptions of someone. Then they give you the other side of the story, finally it says, "And then you really might know what it's like."

I came to that bittersweet realization today. I'll give you the situation.

Doorbell rings, I'm not expecting anyone. I run upstairs to my parent's bedroom in the top corner of the house, from here I have a great view of the doorstep. Very stealthily, I pull open one of the blinds and look out. It's a stranger. No need to answer, they're just one of those annoying door to door people trying to steal some of my money.

I can almost guarantee you that you've also done that at some point.

Well today, my friend and I went door to door offering to disinfect and deodorize trash cans and recycling carts. We were raising money for our school's FCA and Miracle League, a baseball league for kids affected by special needs. I'd consider that a worthy cause, but unforunately no one would know that because they looked out the window and saw two bothersome teenagers they didn't recognize.

Lucky enough, we got a lot of the money we needed from our neighbors that answered the door because they recognized us. Then they hear the cause, let us do the work for them and offer the donations.

It was so frustrating how obviously we were being avoided. If only people would take the time to listen to us.

That's why from now on, I'll at least answer the door and see if it's a worthy cause. It reminded me of one of the simplest sayings, treat others the way you want to be treated.

If people lived by that one saying, there would be no trouble in loving. We all love ourselves first and foremost, no matter if we'd admit to it or not.

And just in case you forgot, the greatest commandment in the bible is to love your neighbor as you would love yourself.

So whenever you're confused how to love the person across from you, imagine yourself in his shoes, how would you want to be treated?

No comments:

Post a Comment