Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Scratching the Itch

I haven't met someone who doesn't love summer, but there is always a down side to everything. The down side to summer, mosquito bites. My record one time was somewhere in the 50s on my right leg and 40s on my left leg.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter how many you have. Even if you just have one, if it itches enough it will drive you insane. I learned that lesson the hard way today. I woke up and the first thing I did, was reach down and scratch the bite on my lower left leg.

The rest of my day...
car ride to Wake Forest - scratched the whole time
interview with Wake Forest - scratched whenever they looked away
car ride back - scratched
laying on the couch - scratched
soccer practice - scratched whenever possible
Olive Garden - scratched

Okay.. well you get the point. Looking back on my day it reminded me of something I read by a man named Amos Lee.

"It is easier to suppress the first desire than to satisfy all that follow it."

In other words, resist the urge to scratch it the first time, because it'll be a hundred times easier than trying to stop scratching after you started.

That might be one of the simplest ideas ever, yet it's a very powerful realization. I want you to apply it to your every day life..

I know you can think of something. So make the choice, don't even scratch it once, because you won't stop after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment