Thursday, August 6, 2009

The American Dream

What's your idea of the American Dream?

I bet it's something like working a good job, having a happy marriage with a couple of kids, a big house with a fenced in yard and big screens tvs with surround sound systems.

In learning some about international poverty and reading the book Acts of Faith by Philip Caputos, I noticed one common theme. Everyone over seas may despise America because we are so selfish and self-centered, but they respect us. They respect us for the American can-do attitude. We believe anything is possible.

That might be the best trait to have. The only flaw with that trait, isn't in the trait itself, but what it's used for.

God's greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. For some reason, we shrug that off as being impossible, while we believe a homeless man can become a millionaire in the span of a couple years.

I'd like us to start a revolution. I'd like us to change the idea of an American Dream. I'd like us to make the American Dream to truly understand and live out the meaning of loving our neighbors as ourselves.

And I'd like us to use our American can-do attitude to make all of that make the new American Dream become American reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment